Sunday, May 04, 2008

When in Rome do as the Vandals

Generally whenever I am told that if one doesn't vote that he or she has no right to protest I feel the need to respond that the opposite logic must hold; if one doesn't protest he or she shouldn't get to vote. I don't agree with either of these extremes, but I think the same logic is in both: to participate in any element of democracy you have to participate in all.

I respect protesting and non-institutional expression as well as traditional expression of discontent with politicians and the political system, still I don't know if thuggish vandalism is something I can get behind.

I noticed today at the entrance of Rockwood Park that two mayoral candidates' signs appeared to have been plucked from the ground, while other signs seemed untouched. Expressing oneself by putting up signs or changing the messages of signs is one thing - it adds to the expressive landscape and dialogue, but removing someone else's signs doesn’t add it subtracts.

This is not the way to win an election or a strong way of getting a point across.

Add to the discourse, don't take from it.

No comments: