Monday, July 14, 2008

Future of Fundy Footpath

I went for a hike and camped on the Fundy Footpath this past weekend. Three of us went in to Seely Beach, about 8.2 km from where we started at Big Salmon River. The Footpath is a rugged hike, made more of a challenge by carrying in our camping gear. It was a good time and the difficulty is part of the fun, but I would not recommend the trip for everyone.

However, our provincial government wants to make the footpath’s highlights available to anyone with a car and the desire to gas up and drive through the heart of nature. This will make the Footpath far less of an adventure; I don't want to hike to a camp site knowing in the back of my mind a road is just a few minutes (or less) away.

I find it difficult to understand why the province is putting so much cash into this project that seems to be tied to the hope that it will generate tourist dollars. As gas prices go up, drive-by vacations might soon be rather unappealing. Also, by putting a road through the park, we are hurting our chances of inviting eco-tourists to the area.

I’m happy to have done this hike and hope to get to enjoy more of the trail before a line up of SUVs can meet me half way in.

Photos: Road work being done at Big Salmon River, including a car bridge (left). Clearing and Future road (right).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I agree 200% with everything that you've written in this article, and am also trying my best to appreciate the area before Phase II of the Fundy Trail Parkway rips through the best wilderness area we have left in the province.