Saturday, September 13, 2008

Keeping our cool

I just heard on CBC's Quirks and Quarks Andrew Weaver, environmental scientist and author of Keeping Our Cool: Canada in a Warming World.
My understanding of science is limited to high school courses, and documentary watching. Still, Weaver said something that made me question what he had to say about global warming. Weaver said that the global warming symptoms are worse than projected by the most "pessimistic" models.
What I am curious about is this: if the results of global warming are worse than models project, meaning the models do not yield results replicated in the real world, are the models valid?
While the concepts around global warming and the human causes seem realistic to me (again, I'm not that scientific), if we are depending on models to make decisions about how we react to global warming, shouldn't we rely on models that march reality?

No comments: