Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Who should I vote for

I'm considering who I should vote for in the upcoming federal election. My options are:
  • Liberal Paul Zed
  • Conservative Rodney Weston
  • New Democrat Tony Mowery
  • Green Michael Richardson

Federal politics interest me, but I'm no expert. Here are my thoughts. Offer your thoughts in the comments section.

Zed seems to push for local issues and seems able to work with a party that isn't his when his isn't in government.

Rodney Weston has experience with the provincial government and could likely move into the position of MP without too much of a learning curve. Also, if the Conservatives win (which appears likely), Saint John would have a government member (which is supposed to be a good thing).

Tony Mowery seems to get local issues and was popular in the west side in the recently municipal election. I agree with the NDP on many social issues, though I'm concerned about how they would be at governing (spending money on social programs is good, but running a Federal Budget with no previous experience could be tough).

Mike Richardson seems to be a pretty reasonable guy. I respect that he ran for mayor (with little chance of winning) in spite of critics saying he should work on name recognition first. I think the Green's ideology that the economy and the environment must both be considered in policy decisions. Still, I bet Mike Richardson's run will likely just get "his name out there." This will be positive for his future in local politics.

I have until October to decide, and am open to suggestions.

No comments: